Was it the lady in the middle that decided to do some impromptu shopping on the way to market?
Or, was it one of the udders?
Views here of Colne’s cattle market in the very last few years of the nineteenth century.
By 191o the town had a purpose-built cattle market (now gone) whose distinctive semi-circular north can still be seen reflected in the curved frontage of the Ambulance Hall.
Sources: Ordinance Survey map, revised 1910, published 1912